For a lot of us, a consistent health and fitness routine is tough to maintain or even get started. And our daily life doesn’t make it any easier. Work schedules change, school schedules change, summer vacations take us out of our regular elements and let’s be honest, sometimes we just get tired or sick of the same routine. Not to worry, we are here to help you stay on track and have continued success in your health and fitness journey. Whether you need a lift in keeping consistent or if you need a jump start, here are 10 tips for continued health and fitness success.
- Aim to achieve 150 mins of moderate intensity exercise per week. This is only a little over 20 mins a day!
- Why wait for a Monday? Start TODAY.
- Get enough sleep. Allow your body to rest and recover.
- Incorporate BOTH resistance and cardiovascular exercise. These types of exercise have distinct benefits important for health.
- Consistency matters! Make it a habit.
- To master consistency, exercise with a buddy or friend.
- If feeling tired or unmotivated, just come and try “something easy”. What you can do will surprise you!
- Try classes in addition to working with a trainer.
- Rather than start a diet, adopt a healthy lifestyle: less processed foods and sugar, more fruits, veggies and protein.
- Continued success is more likely to happen when the focus is on daily actions leading to a routine. Enjoy the process, don’t stress about the outcome!
If you are looking for personalized training and coaching, contact your nearest YMCA Health and Fitness Center and ask for one of our certified personal trainers. They can help you with a plan to reach your individual goals or introduce you to new exercise practices to incorporate into your routine.